Saturday, April 23, 2011

Anzac Poppy

I bought an Anzac Poppy today in readiness for Monday and when I looked at it closely I thought I'd try to make my own version and here is the result.  I used a couple of punches for the two petals, and a snippet of Old Olive Ribbon was added to the stem for a little balance - it was quite fun to make, why don't you give it a go?  We don't really make Anzac Day cards in NZ, but maybe it could be the start of a new tradition?? (my daughter's boyfriend is in the army so I suggested she might like to give it to him!)

(For those of you not familiar with Anzac Day, it is the day we remember all those soldiers who have gone to war, and the poppy symbol comes from the poppy fields in Gallipolli (Turkey) where so many New Zealand and Australian soldiers lost their lives in the first world war.  My paternal grandfather was one of the lucky ones who fought at Gallipolli and come home safe and sound - my little boy is named after his great-grandfather Leo)

I'll try to post a photo of the poppy sold each year at this time so you can compare both of them.





What I used:

Card:  Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, Red, non SU paper.

Ink:  a little Riding Hood Red was swiped around the poppy pieces.

Tools and other fun stuff:  Wide Oval Punch, Large Oval punch, black button, Old Olive 1/8" tafetta ribbon, Square Lattice embossing folder, non SU background shape dies.

1 comment: